Monday, July 11, 2011

Secrets of an Auto Repair Shop: Commonly Asked Questions


If you’re like me, you don’t fix your own vehicle. In fact, I am a work-at-home mom who doesn’t know a lot about cars in general. All I know is that when that “check-engine” light comes on, I panic a little. When the brakes squeal, I fear for my life. And when something smells weird, I know it’s not my husband this time. You may be a housewife, you may be a big burly guy; it doesn’t matter what you look like, a lot of us have no idea what we’re doing when it comes to auto repair.  

Here Are 3 Commonly Asked Questions at the Auto Repair Shop: 

1. What is a Tune Up?
A tune up is a general maintenance feature at mechanic shops. Basically, it’s like a physical for your car. Typical checks and jobs include:

·         Inspecting and changing fuel filter
·         Diagnostics check
·         Changing spark Plugs
·         Fluids top-up
·         Oil change
·         Cleaning/ changing air filter
·         General inspection: engine, transmission, radiator, etc.
·         Checking the tire pressure and rotating
Many auto repair and maintenance shops offer these services plus or minus additional services depending on their policy. 

2. How often should I get an oil change?
My mechanic keeps telling me every 5000KM but the last time I waited that long, the oil almost evaporated; (I don’t drive around all that much I guess. ) The usual recommendation is every 3000-5000 KM but it really depends on how much you use your vehicle. A good rule of thumb is once in the fall and once in the spring; if you are a highway driver by trade or pleasure, you may need to get another appointment in there somewhere.

3. What should I do when the “check engine” light comes on?
If you’re like me, you panic slightly when you see that light come on. Unless you see smoke, you should resist the urge to immediately swerve to the side of the road and simply try to make it to the nearest safe location. Check your Owner’s Manual to see inn which cases the light should be coming on (in my car it could be anything from a loose gas cap to a full-scale nuclear meltdown inside my engine.) After trying all of the simple, inconsequential fixes, if the light is still on, it’s time to call your auto service shop for a diagnostics test.

Lilly Gordon is a freelance writer and web publisher. She is currently learning about auto repair in Sherwood Park, Alberta.

No comments:

Post a Comment